GCS FAMILIES & STAFF
Download the GCS Mobile App to Receive Emergency Announcements, Closing/Delay Updates, & More Delivered to Your Mobile Device
Download our GCSchools mobile app for up-to-date information about the district and individual schools. GCS Connect is available to download for free on Google Play (Android) and the App Store (Apple).
GCS Mobile App – Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Does the App cost me anything? No – the App is free to all users. There is no fee to download or use it.
2. Why Should I get the App? The GCS Mobile App connects parents, students, staff and community to our most sought-after information in a convenient format – your mobile device. Great for on-the go!
3. How do I get the App? The App is available for immediate download in the Apple App store or the Google Play Store depending on which type of mobile device you have. You can find the App by searching “GCSchools.”
4. Can you access the App from a PC, laptop, or desktop computer? No- the App can only be accessed from a mobile device (iPad, iPhone, Android devices)
5. Do I have to update the App? No- the App is automatically updated and will display the latest news, announcements, and information in real time as they are added to the GCS and your school's website.
6. How do I receive Emergency, Closing and Delay Information? Emergencies, closings & delays will be automatically delivered to your mobile device if you have the app downloaded on that device. Important notices will be sent via a “push” notification and be delivered to all app users instantly.
Making the Decision
Closing or delaying school or releasing students from school early is a serious decision requiring careful consideration of several factors. While our focus is the safety of our students and employees, we also evaluate the impact a closure or delay can have on student instructional time. Realizing a change in a school schedule creates inconveniences and difficulties for many GCS families, it is our goal and commitment that we make the best and most informed decision as quickly as possible and communicate that information to our GCS family.
Many factors and resources are evaluated and consulted in making these decisions in a timely manner. Our decision process for a closure or delay is:
Members of the transportation department, senior staff members and the Superintendent, monitor developing weather reports and receive regular updates from multiple weather sources as well as local and state radar. We communicate with neighboring school districts. Throughout the night, roads are driven to assess accumulation and condition. Sidewalks and parking lots are examined. Contact is made with county and state highway officials to discuss their plans to plow and treat road surfaces. This process begins no later than 4 am, unless the decision to close can be made the night before. Unfortunately, the timing of many weather events is such that we have to make decisions based upon forecasts as the precipitation/event might not begin until later in the day.
After reviewing weather reports and shared information, the Superintendent makes the determination if roads, parking lots and sidewalks can be plowed and treated in time to safely open schools and transport students, or if a delay will be necessary.
Once the Superintendent makes the decision, the Communications Department is notified. Staff members begin the process of informing parents and employees via text, push notifications, and our Live Feed. It is our goal to communicate this information by 5:30 am although notification time may be delayed in some instances until complete information can be gathered.
If a bus does not run a particular part of the route, students on that part of the route will be excused. The parent or guardian should write a note to the principal stating the bus did not run. The student should secure the driver's signature on the note and present the note to the principal.
If a bus cannot safely transport a child to their home bus stop, the bus driver will return the child to the custody of school personnel at the child’s school or contact the parents to make other mutually agreed upon decisions.
It is important to understand that the decision isn’t always ideal for every area of our large county. Weather and road conditions may vary from one end of the county to another, and often conditions change quickly. You should know that careful, deliberate consideration was given to making the best decision for the safety of our student population and employees. Most importantly, the decision is made with student and employee safety as the top priority.
Closures or modified schedule announcements are made via text messages, push notifcations, Live Feed, Facebook, Twitter, and local radio and television outlets.
You may also register to receive automated email notifications from the Department of Education (WVDE) at web site at http://wvde.state.wv.us/closings
CLOSED - Students do not report to school.
DELAYED - Students and staff report on a 2-Hour or 3-Hour Delay schedule
EARLY RELEASE -Students will be released from school early as notified -- either 1, 2, or 3 hours early.
REMOTE LEARNING DAY -Students complete work at home as assigned by their respective school. Staff report unless otherwise notified by their principal.
District information, updates, news, calendar of events, live feed posts and more can be found on the GCS website.
Find Us at greenbriercountyshools.org